Experiment Name: Study on Biopolishing of cotton fabric by using enzyme
What is Biopolishing?
Bio-polishing is a process that enhances fabric quality by decreasing the pilling tendency and hairiness of cotton fabrics. This process removes protruding fibers and slubs from cotton fabrics significantly reduce pilling, softens the fabric and provides a smooth fabric appearance.
Biopolishing of cotton fabric
1) To reduce protruding fibers.
2) Remove hairiness, fluffs, and pills.
3) To soften fabric hand improved handle.
4) To the achievement of surface smoothness.
Sample weight = 3.5 gm
Time = 30-60′
Enzyme = 2 % [1% stock solution]
Sequestering agent = 1 g/L [5% stock solution]
Wetting agent = 1 g/L [5% stock solution]
Acetic Acid = 0.5 g/L [5% stock solution]
Sample wt. : 3.5 gm
M:L = 1:30
Total water = 30*3.5 = 105 ml
Amount of enzyme =( 3. 5 *2% )/ 5% = 1.4 ml
Wetting agent = (105* 1)/ (1000*5%) = 2.1 ml
Sequestering agent = (105* 1 )/ (1000*5%) = 2.1 ml
Acetic acid = (105* 0.5) / (1000*5% )= 1.05 ml
Total chemical = 1.4+2.1+2.1+1.05 = 6.65 ml
Required water = 105 – 6.65 = 98.35 ml
Procedure of Biopolishing of Cotton Fabric:
1) Set the bath with the substrate at room temperature and add wetting agent, lubricant, acetic acid & add the appropriate amount of enzyme.
2) Check ph value of the bath.
3) Add the sample to the steel pot.
4) Temperature increase up to 550 C & run for 55-60 minutes.
5) After that increase the temperature to 700 and process for another 10 minutes to kill the enzyme. Then unload the steel pot from the oven.
6) Rinse twice at 60°C for 3 minutes and at normal temperature for 3 minutes.
Always wear appropriate eye protection (chemical splash goggles) in the laboratory.
Wear disposable gloves, when handling hazardous material. Wear a full-length long sleeved laboratory coat or a chemical-resistant apron.
Carefully handle the apparatus and the measurement of the chemicals should be very careful.
Bio-polishing is very important. From this experiment, I have learned about biopolishing and its importance, and its work.
Bio-polishing removes protruding fiber from fabric that makes smooth fabric. This experimental knowledge will help me in future dyeing.