Silk is commonly considered to be the queen of all fabrics. we have chosen the following interesting silk facts to create a fun silk tutorial.
1. Silk culture has been practiced for at least 5000 years in China.
2. Silkworm (Bombyx mori, Latin for “silkworm of the mulberry tree”) is technically, not a worm. It is the caterpillar of a moth.
3. The silkworm female deposits around 400 eggs at a time.
4. The silkworm female dies almost immediately after depositing the eggs; the male lives only a short time after.
5. A pound of caterpillars eats up to 24 000 pounds of mulberry tree leaves In its lifetime. (Interesting Facts of Silk Fibre)
6. It takes up to 20 pounds of cocoons to obtain 2 pounds of silk. It requires 2,000 to 3,000 cocoons to make a pound of silk. One pound of silk represents about 1,000 miles of filament.
7. It takes more than 25 mulberry trees to obtain 6 pounds of silk.
8. The cocoon is made of a single continuous thread of raw silk around 1 kilometer (2/3 of a mile) long.
9.The silk worm grows to 25 times its size over the first 4 weeks. (Interesting Facts of Silk Fibre)
10. that a silk dress requires almost 140 pounds of mulberry tree leaves.
Author: Asif Hossain
Member of (A.1) Team
You may Also like
- Types of Silk Fibre
- Production of Silk Fibre
- Properties and uses of Jute fibre
- Types of Silk Worm
- The Spider That Spins Golden Silk
You may like our official Face Book page. We provide knowledge about the most astonishing and uncommon facts about Textile.